Friday 2 December 2011

The so called 'Geek'

Now this can apply to most of the stereotypes of today. But seriously i hate this stereotype of a geek.

For me this stereotype means people who play lots of games mainly MMO's or MMORPG's or lots of 'geeky' strategy games. Yet the cool kids seem to just play first person shooters... well actually they only really seem to play CoD. What is it with CoD? Is it just me or is it really not a good game?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that without a doubt Battlefield is a completely different league.

Now to the issue of 'Geekyness' By the definition i have given i am a massive incredible geek. I play a lot of games and always have. Most of these being MMORPG's or Strategy games. This ranges from HoN to WoW.

Now i cant say a single person i know would say i am an A class geek (or even a geek in this sense at all), but i am exactly like everyone i play games with essentially. They all seem to have the same interests as me, talk like me, don't sound overly obnoxious, or in any case no more than me, and actually all seem to be pretty all right guys.

So where does this stereotype come from? Well in my opinion it is from the old school media. You know the Jock and geek era of Hollywood movies... but in this day and age when everyone seems to spend more time on a computer than on a field couldn't we dispense with this ridiculous stereotype? Come on... Seriously.

This Ridiculous World

No comments:

Post a Comment